So this happened... my K-pop dreams came true and Daehyun picked me to go on stage at B.A.P's Chicago stop of the Party Baby World Tour!
So here's how it happened...
I've been a HUGE fan of B.A.P since 2012, with Daehyun being my favorite member (those high notes!). When I saw the Dress Code: Party Look poster for the tour I knew this was my chance to impress!
It was an easy choice for me to go with the "rose" theme. My only concern was that Daehyun wouldn't be the member who would pick the winner in Chicago, but I was willing to take my chances!
How did I prepare? I went on Amazon and searched "Rose Dress" to find my wonderful dress covered in 3D roses. I also bought a few rose accessories to match. Luckily my sister loves floral design and gladly volunteered to help me make my light-up rose crown with flowers from the craft store. I even did my nails with rose decals. I was set!
It's time for the concert!
While I was seated in the middle section, it was far enough away that it would be difficult to see me from the stage. As soon as it was announced that it was Daehyun's turn to pick the winner, I knew I had to move if I wanted to get noticed! I didn't want my effort to be wasted.
What happened? I moved into the aisle, vigorously waving my skirt with one hand and my Matoki light stick in the other. I ran forward, not caring anymore about sections and made my way towards the front. Even the security guard smiled and let me pass!
The moment that Daehyun spotted me was magical! I could tell the exact second that he saw me from the crowd, his eyes lighting up and his expression showing surprise and satisfaction. I'll never forget it!
Since I have the video for you all to see I won't bore you with a play-by-play account of my time on stage. Instead, here are the 10 biggest things I took away from the incredible experience!
1. DAEHYUN IS INCREDIBLE! He was so nice and charismatic on stage, making the entire experience even more magical than I could have ever dreamed. Seeing his smile and laugh up close (and specifically directed at me) was something that I'll NEVER forget! Ahhh I'm still fangirling like crazy!
2. It was SUPER hard not to just stare longingly at Daehyun's face the entire time.
3. Himchan and I shared a couple of awkward moments and glances which are actually really funny now that I look back on it. I think he was rather fascinated by the flowers on my dress! But also slightly overwhelmed by how over-the-top my outfit was 😂
4. When I said I was from Chicago, noticing Yongguk smiling and nodding in the background fills my heart with so much happiness.
5. Don't trust Youngjae as a bartender - he favors Red Bull and tequila! hah
6. I have no idea how I didn't spill my chocolate milk! I was so nervous up there and towards the end I totally forgot I had it in my hand, especially during the camera part with Daehyun smiling at me. It was a miracle that I didn't spill it all over my dress!
7. As I got up to leave, I made sure to bow to each of the members. I unconsciously picked up the custom while in Korea from my friends, and now I have the habit of bowing to show respect. By that point Yongguk was pretty disengaged from the segment and not really paying attention anymore, but when he saw me bow his face broke out into one of his amazing smiles. I was hit with so many emotions all at once and an overwhelming gratitude to see Yongguk back in his place as leader of B.A.P.
8. Daehyun's MASSIVE hug totally took me by surprise! At that point I was all set to leave, my mind having already gone into a daze. His hug was really just an extra special cherry on top. He really squeezed me tight!
(Image credit for GIFs 7 & 8: Mag Con)
9. Midwest BABYZ are AMAZING! I just want to say thank you to all the people that cheered my name and came up to me after the show to say congratulations. I was so touched by everyone's support and enthusiasm. Chicago K-pop concerts really are the best!!
10. We're planning a summer wedding. All are invited 😘
Be sure to watch the full video from the experience below!! This is the gift that Daehyun gave me for being selected to come on stage. They filmed the whole segment from the side of the stage, and Daehyun gave me a little thank you speech at the end. I will cherish this forever!
I'm still so shook from this night! Thank you again everyone for your awesome support. I hope you enjoyed the video and recap!
As a side note, this is my website ottoKWORLD! We're your how-to guide for Korean entertainment, focusing on K-pop and helping fans stay up-to-date with the latest news and trends! Please follow our website and subscribe to our email list for updates!
~Rachel (aka Rara Pop)