B.A.P (비에이피) debuted as a six-member Korean hiphop group on 26 January 2012 with the single album entitled Warrior under TS Entertainment. The name B.A.P stands for "Best Absolute Perfect." However, bap (밥)is also the Korean word for rice. In this way, B.A.P are as essential to your life as rice is to your meal. During their debut, B.A.P claimed to be aliens (Zelo was Yongguk's robot) who invaded Earth to save their dying planet by harnessing the power of Earthlings' cheers. The members even made up their own alien language that only they could understand! All the members had blonde hair at their debut to show their unity as a group and "alienness."
The B.A.P fandom name is BABY. The official color is green, and the official lightstick is the MATOKI lightstick. BABYz are known for bringing whistles to concerts as part of the official fan chants.
The bunny is B.A.P's official mascot. Its name is Matoki. "Mato" in Matoki stands for Mato Planet, the place B.A.P supposedly came from as aliens. Each B.A.P member has his own official Matoki character. In fact, B.A.P's name in Chinese is Tuzi Tuan （兔子团） which translates as "bunny group." Hey, bunnies can be hiphop too.
While B.A.P tend to be better known for their dark, hiphop sound, hard-core dance choreography, and intense music videos featuring guns, death, and betrayal, it is important to note that B.A.P also has a fun, happy side. This is the paradox of B.A.P—they can easily create a song critiquing society's evils with a music video full of death and destruction, then follow that with a playful comeback album about living life and falling in love. Both concepts are extremely well-executed, so it's no wonder why their BABYz adore this dual nature of B.A.P.
Since debut B.A.P has proven their talent and popularity both nationally and internationally, with most of their EPs and full albums topping Billboard's World Albums chart. However, the group lost some recognition during their hiatus in 2014-2015 when B.A.P filed a lawsuit against TS Entertainment for unfair working conditions and distribution of funds. Basically, their company was working them to complete exhaustion with a constant stream of comebacks and world tours with very little compensation for their hard work. Thankfully, the group reached a settlement with TS Entertainment, and came back to BABYz with their eighth EP Matrix on 15 November 2015.
B.A.P have certainly come a long way from their "blonde-haired aliens from Mato Planet here to conquer Earth" debut. While the members may have left their alien origins behind them, one thing still remains—B.A.P conquering BABYz hearts with their music, their talent, and their passion. #ForeverWithYou
Name: Bang Yong Guk (방용국)
Stage Name: Yongguk, Bang, or Jepp Blackman
Position: Leader, Main Rapper
Birthday: 31 March 1990
Birthplace: Incheon, South Korea
Family: Parents, older sister, twin brother
Blood Type: O
- Yongguk is the songwriter and producer for many of B.A.P's songs
- He was an underground rapper with the alias Jepp Blackman in the hip-hop group Soul Connection
- Hip-hop duo Untouchable introduced Yongguk to TS Entertainment, and Yongguk has featured in Untouchable Sleepy's song "Body Lotion"
- Yongguk featured in Song Jieun's single "Going Crazy" before releasing his own single "I Remember," featuring Beast's Yang Yoseob, and debuting as Bang&Zelo with the song "Never Give Up"
- He became well-known for his deep voice and distinct rapping style
- During B.A.P's hiatus, Yongguk released a solo song titled "AM 4:44" on 4 April 2015, describing his thoughts and struggles on being an idol
- Yongguk took a break from B.A.P during Noir and "Fly High" promotions to focus on treating an anxiety disorder; he returned to promoting with the Rose single album comeback (OT6 is back!!!)
- Yongguk receives incredibly high respect as the leader of B.A.P from both his members and his fans
- "A score does not define who you are as a person"
- "A dream you dream alone is only a dream, but a dream you dream together is reality"
- "Life is like a piano. The white keys represent happiness, the black keys represent sadness. But as you go through life, remember that the black keys make music too"
- "The answer to all of life's questions is in war movies"
Name: Kim Him Chan (김힘찬)
Stage Name: Himchan
Position: Sub-vocal, rapper, visual
Birthday: 19 April 1990
Birthplace: Seoul, South Korea
Family: Parents, older sister
Blood Type: O
- Himchan attended National Korean Traditional Music High School and graduated at 17 with full scholarship
- In 2010 he was the fifth generation member in the BEST NINE SCHOOL ULZZANG
- He made his TV debut as an MC for The Show in August 2011 before debuting with B.A.P
- "Don't be sad and don't give up on your dreams. Dreams will come true one day. There's no person as beautiful as a person who dreams"
- "Role model? I don't think I have one. I want to become one"
- "The sky has cried out and the world didn't turn out the way we wanted. However, holding hands together we did it. Young, wild and free" ("Young, Wild & Free")
Name: Jung Dae Hyun (정대현)
Stage Name: Daehyun
Position: Main vocalist, face of the group
Birthday: 28 June 1993
Birthplace: Busan, South Korea
Family: Parents, older brother
Blood Type: A
- Daehyun joined TS in the summer of 2011 and was the last member added to the group - he only trained for 6 months before debuting with B.A.P
- He is much-loved by BABYz for his crazy high notes and being super active on social media
- "We need to do something difficult to show the real us"
Name: Yoo Young Jae (유영재)
Stage Name: Youngjae
Position: Lead vocalist
Birthday: 24 January 1994
Birthplace: Uijeongbu, South Korea
Family: Parents, older brother
Blood Type: AB
- In 2008 Youngjae placed first in a JYP audition and became a JYP trainee
- It was during this time that he became friends with GOT7's JB
- Soon afterwards, however, he contacted TS Entertainment and switched to become a TS trainee
- He is influenced by R&B and neo soul music, so B.A.P's initial hiphop sound came somewhat as a surprise to him
- "Loving someone is tiring and it hurts, but it's not something I can stop"
- "Our bodies were tired, but we had so much energy inside we didn't know"
Name: Moon Jong Up (문종업)
Stage Name: Jongup
Position: Main dancer, vocalist
Birthday: 6 February 1995
Birthplace: Seongnam, South Korea
Family: Parents, two older brothers
Blood Type: B
- Jongup became an idol through his love of dance, which led him to dance competitions and feeling the allure of performing on stage
- He officially released his first solo single "지금 (Now)" in Noir
- "I'm not the same everyday. There are times where I am loud and chatty, and there are times where I am really quiet. I don't think I can define myself"
Name: Choi Jun Hong (최준홍)
Stage Name: Zelo
Position: Lead rapper, lead dancer, maknae
Birthday: 15 October 1996
Birthplace: Mokpo, South Korea
Family: Parents, older brother
Blood Type: A
- Zelo used to want to be a soccer player, but changed his dream to music when he happened upon it and grew interested, so he started practicing beatboxing and dancing at home
- He was introduced to Joy Dance - Plug In Music Academy in Gwangju in the fifth grade (this was a well-known music academy that Big Bang's Seungri had attended)
- He is a former YG trainee
- While he auditioned for several recording companies, he did not receive much success because he was too young, but TS eventually accepted him as a trainee
- Zelo was featured on labelmate Song Jieun's 2013 digital album Hope Torture in the collaborative track "Vintage"
- On 9 March 2015 Zelo collaborated with V-Hawk of DPF Crew to release "R(x)PLAY", a free single featuring Zelo
- "R(x)PLAY" was Zelo's first independently-produced track
- On 21 May 2015 he released an independently-produced solo track "No-Title" on Soundcloud that he worked on while on hiatus in Canada earlier in the year
- "No-Title" was Zelo's first self-composed track for which he wrote both the lyrics and melody
- "When B.A.P is together, we feel like a real family. But when we're on stage with our fans, it builds up to a big family"
- "Say something that makes sense. My battery is at 30%"
B.A.P Unplugged 2014
Sub Units - Bang&Zelo
Solo - Bang Yongguk
Solo - Zelo
Solo - Jongup
Concerts and Tours
**NOTE: Due to the large quantity of awards received, only the music program and major awards are shown here**
- 12 Feruary 2014 - "1004 (Angel)"
- 14 February 2014 - "1004 (Angel)"
- 27 November 2015 - "Young, Wild & Free"
- 16 February 2014 - "1004 (Angel)"
- 1 December 2015 - "Young, Wild & Free"
- 8 March 2016 - "Feel So Good"
- 22 November 2016 - "Skydive"
Asia Artist Awards
- 2016 - Best Entertainer Award (Male Group)
Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards
- 2012 - Best Male Rookie
- 2013 - World Rookie
- 2015 - Hot Trend Award
Golden Disk Awards (GDA)
- 2012 - New Artist Award (Digital)
MelOn Music Awards (MMA)
- 2012 - Rookie of the Year
Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA)
- 2012 - Mnet PD's Choice Award
Seoul Music Awards (SMA)
- 2012 - Best New Artist
- 2013 - Bonsang
MTV Europe Music Awards
- 2014 - Best Korean Act
- 2014 - Best Japan and Korea Act
- 2016 - Best Korean Act
- 2012 SBS Gayo Daejeon - "Warrior" - https://youtu.be/CW3GPNwTOzM
- 2012 Melon Music Awards - "Warrior" - https://youtu.be/FBWi6Ynw4_k
- 2012 KBS Music Bank Year-End Special - B.A.P & BTOB Dance Performance - https://youtu.be/ESKxagZU4tU
- 2013 Golden Disk Awards - "Power (Rock Remix)" - https://youtu.be/s9AZqlG5pkE
- 2013 SBS Gayo Daejeon - "One Shot" - https://youtu.be/vcv0BM-qaTg
- 2014 KBS Music Bank Comeback Stage - "With You" & "1004 (Angel)" - https://youtu.be/3X-EAO-86XA
- 2015 MBC Gayo Daejejeon - "Warrior" & "Young, Wild & Free" - https://youtu.be/L2UAWD7x2Eo
- 2016 MBC Gayo Daejejeon - "Young, Wild & Free Intro" & "Skydive" - https://youtu.be/H6DA7rTxT2I
- 2017 Mnet M Countdown Comeback Stage - "Wake Me Up" - https://youtu.be/s8E1X54GXX0 (Yongguk is back <3)